Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving Thanks

Here are a few of the things I'm thankful for today:
  • Good health

  • Being able to celebrate with part of my family, right here in my own house. (It's only the second time I've hosted Thanksgiving dinner, which also means it's the second time that my kitchen will be used to its full capacity.)

  • The knowledge that the rest of my family is only 3 1/2 hours away, and that we'll all be together at Christmas

  • A great group of friends; really, I couldn't ask for anyone better.

  • A job that I love, that involves doing the thing that I think I do best

  • The above-mentioned thing I do best: Music. It enriches people's lives in a very unique way

  • Also the fact that said job keeps a roof over my head, and the roof in question is attached to a dwelling that I'm actually paying for instead of renting

  • The food we'll be enjoying today (especially the fact that it's pre-made and all that Mom has to do is warm it)

  • Texas autumn: Warmish days, cool nights

  • The Cowboys on TV today, and A&M/Texas tomorrow

  • The freedom to speak, associate and worship as we please, without fear of the government persecuting us for those things--in other words, the freedom to live in a great place like America (let us never take that for granted)
What are you thankful for today?

This takes "gobble, gobble" to an extreme: The winner of the annual turkey-eating contest at Arnie's Deli in New York City scarfed down 4.8 pounds of bird in twelve minutes. (The contest was yesterday, and the article notes that his family will likely be having venison today.)

They may taste great, but they're in bad taste: An Oberlin, Ohio artist hasn't created very much holiday cheer so far with his collection of gingerbread Nazis in a recent exhibit.

He'll be the butt of jokes now: A guy in Virginia who encourages kids to avoid smoking (by dressing up as a giant cigarette butt) has been busted for having four wives at the same time.

2 comments:

Eric Grubbs said...

I got to spend Thanksgiving with my family and friends without rushing in and rushing out of town.

Kev said...

Yeah, it was nice to not have to do that drive this year. I didn't even drive my car at all on Thursday; that's quite a rarity for me.