Thursday, July 22, 2004

Inspired

Byron Stripling was at camp today, and I think that the aftermath of his hourlong clinic will lead to one of those life-changing musical moments. Even though I always get fired up about playing after a week of teaching jazz camp, it's never actually led me to the one thing I really need to do: practice more on a regular basis. But now, I feel more focused than I have in a long time, and I know exactly what I have to do to accomplish my goals. Byron's clinic today was nothing short of amazing; it may well have all been information that I knew, but it wrapped everything in a neat little package that's easy to both draw upon and explain to others.

Sure, I've hit a certain level already (being a part of this great faculty speaks volumes), but I've always known there could be so much more, and I feel like there's a clear path to get there now. Halfling is of course on board with me for this, so it'll be a fun trip no matter how rocky the road gets at times, and once the TD/D combo gets fully realized, it's gonna be something else. I'm just totally fired up about my playing again, and I can't wait to see what happens between now and next summer at this time.

ORIGINAL QUOTE OF THE DAY: "You don't choose music....music chooses you."--Me, in master class, in response to a camper's question about deciding whether or not to go into music as a career.

However, I defer to my esteemed colleague for the...

DEFINITIVE QUOTE OF THE DAY: "You'll find that people don't care so much about Britney once she starts to sag."--Byron, while discussing the reasons that image is not a key component for true success in music.

No comments: