Sunday, October 26, 2003

Daylight Wasting Time

So I hope everyone has changed all their clocks back by now, otherwise you've been really, really early to everything all day. Personally, I'm a big fan of Daylight Savings Time, and I wish it could go on all year. I refer to Standard Time as "Daylight Wasting Time," because the extra hour of daylight that we slice off the evening gets stuck in the really early morning, when almost nobody uses it. Oh, certainly someone benefits from it (early morning joggers, kids who have to stand in line for the school bus), but to most of us, that hour of light is simply "lost."

I think the really depressing part of DWT is that it almost always gets dark before I'm done teaching now. It seems to me that if you don't finish work until after dark, you've worked too long. In a way, I know my days are too long, but at least I can hide behind a little denial if I get home while the sun is still out. DWT blows that all out of the water, and I'm forced to come to terms with my workaholic self. Bleh.

So I often say that the clock is not always my friend, and for the next five and a half months, it will be less so on certain days. At least, almost on cue, it got cooler outside last night, and now we can get on to "winter mode" here in Texas...

...for a few days, anyway, before it hits the 80's again--haha (with apologies to my frozen northern brethren).

No comments: