Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Adios to Amosan; I"ll Miss You, Old Friend

For as long as I can remember, I've had problems with canker sores, and I've also managed to bite my tongue (in a literal sense) more frequently than humans should be allowed to do. Until I got about halfway through college, there wasn't much I could do about it; I tried products like Anbesol and Carmex (the latter touted itself as being "for cold sores," but I found it worked even better as a lip balm), but nothing really worked.

But then a friend turned me onto this product called Amosan. Manufactured by Oral-B, it was sort of a weird concept: It billed itself as an "oral wound cleanser" (which prompted another college friend to say something like, "Help, I've been orally wounded!") and came in these tiny little packets of powder. The idea was to dissolve one packet in water "as hot as can be tolerated," swish it around in your mouth for 30 seconds, and...ahhh! Relief!

Amosan was never available everywhere I shopped, but I could find it sitting faithfully on the shelves at Walgreens and Albertsons for years, until recently. Even then, it was still possible to buy it on Amazon.com (yes, Amosan on Amazon), which I, having run out (and having bitten my tongue at least five times in the past two days), set out to do.

Except it's not there anymore. It was discontinued a year ago. D'oh! Even Amazon doesn't have back stock, so I'm pretty much out of luck on that front (unless I can find some on the shelf at a mom-and-pop drugstore somewhere...and yes, I'll be looking).

Is anyone else out there a faithful (and now equally bereft) Amosan user? If so, have you found a suitable replacement? One forum suggested using "3% hydrogen peroxide," but I'm not sure how to mix that, so I'd be open to suggestions in that vein as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Purchased an 8 fl.oz. bottle of Colgate Peroxyl Oral Cleanser (1.5% Hydrogen Peroxide Antiseptic Oral Cleanser & Rinsce with oxygenating action, flavor mild mint ...) it's in a blue bottle in the section where Anbesol etc. are located. It sounds like a liquid version of Amosan ... so here's trying it!

Anonymous said...

Guess who still has Amosan for sale! Way down under in Australia...

http://advancedental.com.au

Get it while it lasts, supplies are nearly dry in Australia as well.

Cheers from aussie dentist!