Thursday, January 06, 2005

What's Next, "Titanic" Brand Deck Chairs?

I've been meaning to post this one for a few days: Eugene Volokh recently questioned the wisdom of naming both a brand of parachute and a skydiving school after Icarus, and pointed to a previous article he'd written on unfortunately-named trademarks in general, a syndrome he calls the "Trojan Doctrine" (the article explains the name).

One of the items he mentioned is Amelia Earhart luggage, which is very compact and thus designed to go on....planes. Why anyone would name an airline bag after someone whose plane disappeared is beyond me. Even weirder is the fact that my dad gave me this exact brand of suitcase as a hand-me-down a few years ago. I didn't actually notice the brand name until I got it home, but the first thought that ran through my mind when I saw it was "no way am I ever getting on a plane with this thing." Needless to say, when the suitcase in question suffered a broken zipper the first time I was packing it, I wasn't at all upset that I had to change to another one.

I'll have more stuff tomorrow; tonight will be a hang-and-jam with Halfling, and then this short-but-still-too-long teaching week is done around 3:00 tomorrow afternoon. I sense a nap after that...

No comments: