Monday, October 18, 2004

Yes, the County Still Owns Me

OK, here's the latest: I got picked. I have to go back tomorrow too, but with any luck that'll be it and I'll get back in time for big band tomorrow night. Can't talk about the case yet, of course, but I'll have plenty of stories when it's done.

I then came back and taught one lesson at the store, effectively quadrupling my income for today (it only pays $6 a day for jury duty, not the $10 I mentioned yesterday).

Tonight's been a great night for baseball: Sox beat Yankees (in all kinds of extra innings); Astros beat Cards. Dad is thrilled, no doubt, watching the 'Stros from his hospital room (yes, the surgery went fine this morning).

Oh yeah, and the train is great; I hadn't ridden it since it was extended north of Park Lane. I would so ride the train all the time if I worked downtown and didn't have a gazillion errand to run after work. It's all kinds of convenient now, and cheap (train=$2.50 for an all-day pass; parking garage=$3.00 a day at the reduced juror rate...and hey, I need that 50 cents about now). I'm riding it again tomorrow.

A wild pair: Jazzer extraordinaire Wynton Marsalis and actress Erin Moran (Joanie of Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi fame) were both born on this day in 1961.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "I'll see you all back here at 9:30 in the morning...and I am not cooking breakfast."--Steve the bailiff, at the end of the day (in the jury room, not the courtroom, which is why I can quote it already).

No comments: