Sunday, April 19, 2009

Life in the Slow Lane

Random things that have occurred to me since I've been partially incapacitated:
  • As I said a few days ago, I usually go through life at 90 miles an hour, if not faster. But now, I'm forced to go slower than usual. I can't say that I'm "stopping and smelling the roses" quite yet, but there is a certain relaxation about not being able to hurry, hurry, hurry all the time.

  • But on the other hand, I also find it frustrating that it takes a lot longer to do what are usually simple tasks. Never mind others having to wait on me; I don't like to wait on me.

  • During the times when walking is more labored than usual, I find myself striving for an extreme economy of movement; all my errands get combined, and I concentrate even more on things; in my current state, it's not fun to go get something and then ADD out and forget what it was that I was going to get in the first place.

  • I'm usually a big snooze-alarm guy; in fact, that habit had gotten pretty bad this year. But with the extra effort that has to be expended to move my bum leg out of bed, I usually get an earful of alarm before I ever reach it to turn it off. So basically, when I'm up, I'm up. I get a lot more done now (despite nearly everything taking longer to do), but not nearly enough sleep.
I'll stop whining about my injury soon enough; there are other things to talk about. But I've been in a reflective mood lately, and this blog is as good of a place as any to let these things out.

No comments: