Friday, April 17, 2009

A Cane in the Rain Is Mainly Quite a Pain

I had my first day of teaching in the schools since the accident, and, for the most part, everything went smoothly. As for people's reactions to the cane itself, they fell under two main categories: Virtually every high school kid thought it was a cool look, and nearly every teacher made some crack about me using it to keep unruly kids in line. (All joking aside, I should point out that it's been quite some time since I've taught a kid whom I would consider unruly, though that's rare in a one-on-one situation in the first place.)

The only non-ideal situation took place at lunchtime, when it was raining like crazy. A real gully-washer, as they might say here in Texas. Raining cats and dogs. A monsoon. You get the idea. And of course, the place I wanted to go for lunch doesn't have any parking right next to the building. (Which reminds me--will I get a handicap placard out of this? Who knows; I don't want it to be that bad, but if I need one, I want one.) So I was balancing my cane in one hand, an umbrella in the other, and my newspaper tucked under one arm. And I had to watch out for puddles; that's all I'd need would be to slip again.

Thankfully, I made it through all that unscathed, and I'm looking forward to my first good rest this weekend. (I'll see an orthopedist on Monday, so wish me luck with that.)

No comments: