Thursday, April 21, 2005

This 'n' That

OK, I think things are finally getting back to normal around here. There's one more morning of testing at the high schools tomorrow, but that only knocks out two lessons, and I'll enjoy the extra few hours of sleep at any rate.

The trip to Waco was fun; I enjoyed hanging with the brothers out there and visiting with a couple of old friends who put me up for the night. After my last meeting yesterday morning, I found myself in the thick of the change of classes; it had been quite a while since I'd been in that situation at a traditional university (my college is mostly indoors and constructed like a mall, so the big passing period has a different flavor to it). It was almost certainly the first time I'd been in that situation wearing a suit; I envied the dressed-down students but joined them soon enough for my trip back.

I haven't blogged on this subject in a long time, but Halfling completed his first 2BC last night. It was totally spontaneous; he was really, really hungry, so he just got up and said, "OK, 2BC time," and proceeded to order and down the second big burrito. I didn't time him on all this, but I'm sure it was way slower that Stout's thirteen minutes and faster than my forty-five. The League of Lunatics thus has nine members now...I think. (UPDATE: This is correct; I found the post from the last time we had any inductees.)

I got to work out this morning; the college gym was only open from 7:00 until 8:30 a.m., but I actually got up and went there and did my stuff. Halfling was right when he told me that doing cardio stuff in the morning makes you more lively all day long; it almost--but not quite--rendered my beloved coffee unnecessary. I don't usually have the luxury of doing something like that during regular school hours, but I'm hoping to find some sort of comparable activity to do closer to home.

Order in the court...and that means Juror #12, wake up! Boredom proved costly to a potential juror who let out a loud yawn in a Los Angeles courtroom and was promptly ordered to pay a $1,000 fine.

This is not what they meant by "roughage" in the diet: I can't find a link for this yet, but evidently, there's yet another sequel to last week's finger-in-the-chili story: according to a report I heard on the radio this morning, an elderly lady found a "stem" in her salad that turned out to be the tail of a dead mouse. Can you say "eww?" (UPDATE: Link is here.)

Blowing out the candles: Happy birthday to my friend and colleague Kris (and a belated one yesterday to Scott B.).

2 comments:

Eric Grubbs said...

If I eat a Super Monster (the equivalent to two Regular burritos) at Freebird's, does that make a member of 2BC?

Please understand that I do like Chipotle, but when I have the choice, I choose Freebirds.

Kev said...

Hmm, not sure....we'd have to weigh and measure it to see how it stacks up. ;-)