Saturday, July 19, 2008

I Am Tiger Woods Have Tiger Wood

The past few days have been spent on some renovations at Casa de Kev. The biggest one? Having the flooring material that was shown in Wednesday's post installed in the front of the house. Here are the results:


The floor itself


Now let's add furniture...


Kitchen view

The flooring is not wood; it's a laminate, and the design has an unusual name: Indian Tigerwood. (There really is a wood called tigerwood, and it predates the golfer, who got the "Tiger" nickname from an Army buddy of his father's. I also joked that the "Indian Tiger Woods" would probably be Vijay Singh, although he has Fijian as well as Indian ancestry.)

If I hadn't said anything, you might not know that it's something other than real wood, which is much more high-maintenance; with the laminate, I don't have to worry about spills and so on. It's a great asset to the house, having replaced three different materials in the three front areas: Faded and cracking parquet in the entry hall, beat-up carpet (that Tasha was very rough on in her final days), and some really ugly linoleum in the kitchen. Having a continuity of material from place to place now adds a lot to the area, and it makes for a striking entry to the house. I'm very happy with it, and I learned a lot from watching it being done (and assisting in some of the final touches).

When I first bought the house, I used to just look around and marvel at the fact that it was mine. This weekend, I find myself going up front just to marvel some more, at something that just makes the house that much better.

Blowing out the candles: Happy birthday to Colin, the drummer in as many groups of mine as he has time to play. He's spending the summer living a jazz musician's dream come true in New York City, practicing and studying with some of the masters.

No comments: